Patch Factory - Full-featured byte-level patching and version management system for efficient software updating. Patch Factory - Full-featured byte-level patching and version management system for efficient software updating.
Home | Products | Downloads | Order/Purchase | Support | Forums

Pages:12 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Using the 'Required' option in a component...
JoePublic
Posted: December 15, 2006 12:51 pm
Reply to this POSTQuote Post

Group: PatchFactory 3.x Users
Member No.: 150

In the 'Installation' section of a component, there is a 'Required' parameter which I have set to 'True' on most components and 'False' on a few other components.

My understanding of this parameter is that if 'Required' is set to 'True' - that component has to exist for the patch to apply. If on the other hand it is set to 'False' that component doesn't have to exist for the patch to apply.

Using this, I thought it would be possible to apply a patch to an end user's installation even if not all components of their installation were present (for example if they had been optional items during the install of that product originally...).

I would specify which components are required individually using this True/False parameter.

If thats the case, it doesn't appear to work. My patch will only install if ALL components are present on the end user's system, regardless of whether that component's 'Required' parameter is set to 'True' or 'False'. In other words, it appears to work such that all components 'Required' parameters are set to 'True' even though they're not.

Please could you provide some feedback on this ?

smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: December 18, 2006 12:53 am

Support Team

Group: Forum Administrators
Member No.: 1

As a registered user you have an access to the hidden area named "PatchFactory v3.x family products" at these forums (containing the latest bug-fixes and minor updates which are not included into the the current release, and not available for non-registered users).
The bug you have described is fixed, and the bug-fix itself is available in this hidden area.

--------------------
Best regards, AgenSoft.Com Support Team
AgenSoft.Com - Complete Software Update Solutions
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
JoePublic
Posted: December 18, 2006 04:17 pm

Group: PatchFactory 3.x Users
Member No.: 150

Thanks Admin - so I'd discovered.

Although I found it a little suprising that the trial version I downloaded and installed only a few weeks earlier (long *after* the update to fix this issue was released) and then subsequently registered with a comercial license, did not contain the fix in question. In other words, it was/is out of date! ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by JoePublic on December 18, 2006 04:17 pm
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: December 19, 2006 12:35 am

Support Team

Our current update policy is to provide the latest bug-fixes and minor updates (not included into the latest release) only to registered users.

You can find the appropriate Note in the email you received from us upon registration (with your ordering details and the registration key file).
So... possibly you have just missed that Note.

We provide the latest bug-fixes and minor updates to non-registered users only upon request (i.e. if they experience problems using our products).

--------------------
lharron
Posted: September 14, 2007 10:16 am

Group: Members
Member No.: 161

Hi,

I work for a software company and we are thinking about purchasing your product. I have downloaded the trial version and have been doing a few tests. I seem to be having the same issue as mentioned above where it seems to set required to True regardless of the selection. I was wondering if this bug has been fixed in the current version. If not, would it be possible for me to obtain this fix before purchasing?

Also, the way our software works is it has multiple components which can be installed on the same machine or different machines. We would like to be able to create one patch that can be used for all components regardless of what machine they are on. It appears that you must make at least one component per version required. If the case were that all components were installed on separate machines then the patch would not work properly as it would not find the specified required component on all machines. Is there any way that PatchFactory can handle this?

Thank you very much,

Lucas
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: September 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Support Team

QUOTE (lharron @ September 14, 2007 08:16 pm)
I work for a software company and we are thinking about purchasing your product. I have downloaded the trial version and have been doing a few tests. I seem to be having the same issue as mentioned above where it seems to set required to True regardless of the selection. I was wondering if this bug has been fixed in the current version. If not, would it be possible for me to obtain this fix before purchasing?

Yes, this bug is already fixed.
Please, use the following link to download the latest bug-fix pack available:
http://www.agensoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133

--------------------
Admin
Posted: September 18, 2007 12:09 am

Support Team

QUOTE (lharron @ September 14, 2007 08:16 pm)
Also, the way our software works is it has multiple components which can be installed on the same machine or different machines. We would like to be able to create one patch that can be used for all components regardless of what machine they are on. It appears that you must make at least one component per version required. If the case were that all components were installed on separate machines then the patch would not work properly as it would not find the specified required component on all machines. Is there any way that PatchFactory can handle this?

According to the architecture of PatchFactory3, there should be at least one component in each version image.
Each component can have different location (see Location Repository description within PatchFactory manual) and you should provide the correct and fully-qualified network path for each component within your version image as well as make sure you have necessary rights to have access to those remote resources.

Thanks for yuor valuable feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

--------------------
lharron
Posted: September 19, 2007 07:15 am

Member No.: 161

Thanks for the quick reply.
I did have to apply that bug-fix pack in order to fix the problem, even though I had previously downloaded the latest version (3.3 build 3) from your downloads page. Thanks,

Lucas

This post has been edited by lharron on September 19, 2007 09:04 am
PMEmail Poster
Ggy888
Posted: January 12, 2015 12:34 am

Member No.: 5355

thank you biggrin.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
futcoinsen
Posted: January 14, 2015 07:32 pm

Member No.: 5356

PMEmail Poster

Topic OptionsPages:12 Reply to this topicStart new topic

[ Home ]   [ About Us ]   [ News ]   [ Awards ]   [ PatchFactory ]   [ ScreenShots ]   [ Downloads ]   [ Order/Register ]   [ Affiliate Program ]
[ Support ]   [ Feedback ]   [ FAQ ]   [ Online Help ]   [ Support Forums ]

© 2002-2006 AgenSoft. All rights reserved.   |   Terms of Use   |   Privacy Statement