Patch Factory - Full-featured byte-level patching and version management system for efficient software updating. Patch Factory - Full-featured byte-level patching and version management system for efficient software updating.
Home | Products | Downloads | Order/Purchase | Support | Forums

Pages:12 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Windows Installer, Problems with creating a patch
mhenning
Posted: July 12, 2005 08:58 am
Reply to this POSTQuote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 29

I am looking for some help. I have some custom software that was written in VB6. This software also has some dlls that were created in .net. This software has 2 versions, previously, we had the users backup the data files, un-install the old version , then install the new version. We are using the tools built into visual studio.net and Visual Basic 6.0 to create the install packages. I would like to use this patch factory to simplify the patch process obviously, but I am having some trouble.

I setup patch factory with each version of our software, and indicated all of the files (except the data-files) that are associated with our software for each version. I build the patch and run it on an old system. The files appear to be changing properly, however when the application starts , it invokes the windows installer and is attempting to repair the old version of the software. Can you guys offer any guidance on how to correct this problem?

I checked that the files are being properly modified by moving them to a system that had the newer version installed. WHen I replace the files on the installed new version with files from the patched new version, it seems to be behaving.
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: July 12, 2005 09:24 am

Support Team

Group: Forum Administrators
Member No.: 1

Thanks for your interest in our product.

Most likely during startup of your program a call to windows installer occurs, which in its turn controls the integrity of your program files.

After detecting of their inconsistency it runs the repairing procedure automatically.
Renewing the service information of the windows installer is a quite complicated procedure and we do not advise you to perform it manually.

The only solution that we currently can suggest you is to turn off the consistency check for your application files in windows installer (on your own risk) or not to use the windows installer but some less complicated install generator.

--------------------
Best regards, AgenSoft.Com Support Team
AgenSoft.Com - Complete Software Update Solutions
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ditacestwork1972
Posted: March 26, 2015 07:14 am

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5394

Thankyou for your sharing Z

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
SpringCc
Posted: June 08, 2015 08:29 pm

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5414

I setup patch factory with each version of our software, and indicated all of the files (except the data-files) that are associated with our software for each version. I build the patch and run it on an old system. The files appear to be changing properly, however when the application starts , it invokes the windows installer and is attempting to repair the old version of the software. Can you guys offer any guidance on how to correct this problem?
meizu mx4 pro
oppo cell phone

meizu m1
PMEmail Poster
tirendingdan1983
Posted: June 10, 2015 04:03 pm

Expert

Member No.: 5419

Great forum posts, Thanks a lot!
Madden 15 coins
PMEmail Poster
tacawahen1986
Posted: June 11, 2015 08:39 am

Guru

Member No.: 5421

Info very well used!!
cheap nba 2k15 mt
PMEmail Poster
softcacashind1983
Posted: June 11, 2015 10:28 am

Guru

Member No.: 5427

Excellent advice Thank you.
Runescape gold
PMEmail Poster
tirendingdan1983
Posted: June 11, 2015 02:02 pm

Expert

Member No.: 5419

Incredible quite a lot of very good data!
Madden 15 coins
PMEmail Poster
tacawahen1986
Posted: June 12, 2015 09:49 am

Guru

Member No.: 5421

Fantastic write ups. Thank you.
cheap nba 2k15 mt
PMEmail Poster
ythercina1980
Posted: June 13, 2015 06:13 am

Guru

Member No.: 5420

Wow many of great advice!
nba 2k15 mt
PMEmail Poster

Topic OptionsPages:12 Reply to this topicStart new topic

[ Home ]   [ About Us ]   [ News ]   [ Awards ]   [ PatchFactory ]   [ ScreenShots ]   [ Downloads ]   [ Order/Register ]   [ Affiliate Program ]
[ Support ]   [ Feedback ]   [ FAQ ]   [ Online Help ]   [ Support Forums ]

© 2002-2006 AgenSoft. All rights reserved.   |   Terms of Use   |   Privacy Statement