Patch Factory - Full-featured byte-level patching and version management system for efficient software updating. Patch Factory - Full-featured byte-level patching and version management system for efficient software updating.
Home | Products | Downloads | Order/Purchase | Support | Forums

Pages:123 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Error opening df-file, Problem...
JoePublic
Posted: November 24, 2006 08:07 am
Reply to this POSTQuote Post

Group: PatchFactory 3.x Users
Member No.: 150

Hi there,

I stumbled accross PatchFactory the other day and it might be exactly what we're looking for. However, I have a problem. I'm using the trail version 3.3 (build 003) on Windows XP and I've got to the point of compiling my patch, but it fails with an error :-

"Error opening df-file {path to an internal folder of PatchFactory]"

The process then quits and I can't get any further.

The strange thing is that I had previously create a patch successfully with a small test project that only contained one file in a folder structure that required updating.

The problem has crept in when I've started to try and make a patch 'for real' which needs to update many files in many folders.

Can anyone help ?

On a different subject, and this is really a feature request, using the 'Registry' type in the location repository, I'm not able to get a path from a string in the registry if that string in question has an exe at the end.

Eg.

I want to get the path of the installed product, but I only have this in a string :-

'C:\Program Files\My Company\My Product\Uninstall.exe'

At present, it seems PatchFactory can't remove the 'Uninstall.exe' from the string leaving me with just 'C:\Program Files\My Company\My Product' as a path.

I can get around this for now by creating a wrapper program to add a new reg string with just the path (not the exe) based upon what it finds in the existing string, and then shell the patcher to do it's stuff, looking at the newly created reg string instead.

Unless... You can tell me how to ignore the exe at the end of a path.

Otherwise, it looks like a great product and we'll be buying it if I can figure out the first problem above.

Cheers,

Joe

This post has been edited by JoePublic on November 24, 2006 08:08 am
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: November 27, 2006 12:50 am

Support Team

Group: Forum Administrators
Member No.: 1

Thanks for your time and for giving us your feedback.

The first problem requires a deeper research...
Could you please send us the full project (with files on which you have noticed such erroneous bahavior) or/and a log of patch building and screenshots of an error message displayed.

We are currently working on the second problem, as soon as we prepare a solution we'll contact you, if you don't mind.

--------------------
Best regards, AgenSoft.Com Support Team
AgenSoft.Com - Complete Software Update Solutions
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Admin
Posted: November 27, 2006 04:23 am

Support Team

Second problem workaround:
QUOTE (JoePublic)
On a different subject, and this is really a feature request, using the 'Registry' type in the location repository, I'm not able to get a path from a string in the registry if that string in question has an exe at the end.

Eg.
I want to get the path of the installed product, but I only have this in a string :-
'C:\Program Files\My Company\My Product\Uninstall.exe'

At present, it seems PatchFactory can't remove the 'Uninstall.exe' from the string leaving me with just 'C:\Program Files\My Company\My Product' as a path.

I can get around this for now by creating a wrapper program to add a new reg string with just the path (not the exe) based upon what it finds in the existing string, and then shell the patcher to do it's stuff, looking at the newly created reg string instead.

Unless... You can tell me how to ignore the exe at the end of a path.

Please make sure this file exists on the end-user's machine.
Currently the "FILE path" is converted to the "DIR path" automatically only if the file specified exists.
If it does not exist then an error is returned and the path is considered as invalid.

However, the first problem requires a deeper research...
Could you please send us the full project (with files on which you have noticed such erroneous bahavior if possible) or/and a log of patch building and screenshots of an error message displayed.

--------------------
JoePublic
Posted: December 12, 2006 07:41 am

Sorry for the delay in coming back. I've just taken delivery of my new baby daughter so I've been a little busy...

I managed to find a workaround for the original problem I posted above.

Also, I can't seem to see how to remove the exe from a registry key to leave me with just a path. Are suggesting this can be done at present ? If so, please could you clarify how to do it ? I've already written a little wrapper program to do the work for me anyway so it's no big deal - would be nice for a future version though.

In any case, I just purchased a commercial license for patch factory, I'm so impressed with it and it will be of great use to us.

One more question; I've developed my first patch with the trial version - can I use the patch exe for distribution now, or do I have to recreate it with the full version (when I get it!). If the latter, please could you expedite my license key for me ? I can give you my shareit! order number if necessary.

Thanks wink.gif

This post has been edited by JoePublic on December 12, 2006 07:42 am
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: December 12, 2006 08:01 am

Support Team

Congratulations!!!

As for PatchFactory...
there is no need to "to remove the exe from a registry key" because the patch applicator will extract the path itself (ignoring the file name) but only in case the file exists on the end-user's machine.

--------------------
JoePublic
Posted: December 12, 2006 08:07 am

Thanks Admin,

Unfortunately I can't guarantee it does exist in all cases, so my wrapper checks and then asks them to browse if it finds a problem.

What about the license key for our copy of patch factory ? Do I need to recompile my patches when I have this or can I use the one from the trial version ?

smile.gif

[Edit] Never mind I just got my license key in an email. wink.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by JoePublic on December 12, 2006 08:08 am
PMEmail Poster
Admin
Posted: December 12, 2006 09:23 am

Support Team

You can use the already built patch and distribute it to your clients (there is no need to recompile your project).

--------------------
JoePublic
Posted: December 13, 2006 08:50 am

Thanks!
PMEmail Poster
WARWOWgold
Posted: December 26, 2014 12:36 am

Group: Members
Member No.: 5339

Theatrhythm Ultimate Fantasy Curtain Get in touch with willlaunch within The united states about September. 16 for Nintendo 3ds; the overall game is definitely accessible in Asia. Square Enix can be supplying a Collectors' Release via its website as well as Special

lol elo boosting
Cheap Runescape3 Gold
PMEmail Poster
ditacestwork1972
Posted: March 27, 2015 07:49 pm

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5394

Thankyou for your sharing Z

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

Topic OptionsPages:123 Reply to this topicStart new topic

[ Home ]   [ About Us ]   [ News ]   [ Awards ]   [ PatchFactory ]   [ ScreenShots ]   [ Downloads ]   [ Order/Register ]   [ Affiliate Program ]
[ Support ]   [ Feedback ]   [ FAQ ]   [ Online Help ]   [ Support Forums ]

© 2002-2006 AgenSoft. All rights reserved.   |   Terms of Use   |   Privacy Statement